While attendance is optional and is not taken, it is strongly recommended in order to be successful in this course. Much of the learning occurs through case studies, group breakouts, and discussion. Part of the grade is based on participation and that can only be earned through attendance.
- Full Lab Attendance is required for all students who have one or more outstanding uncompleted assignments at the start of the lab period. If all assignments have been completed and submitted, then attendance at a lab period is not required.
- "Full Lab Attendance" means not being absent during a lab for more than 10 minutes during a lab period. (The instructor may take attendance multiple times during any lab period.)
- If a student fails to have full lab attendance while having one or more outstanding uncompleted assignments, then the student will receive no credit for those assignments.
- Students will be granted exceptions to the above policy for valid medical reasons, family emergencies, or for other reasons approved by the university. Documented proof is required.
- In addition, students will be granted one exception (a "mulligan") per semester to the above policy for any reason whatsoever (such as oversleeping, feeling ill, forgetting about the policy, and the like). Students must request such an exception by email within 4 hours of the start of class.
Working on Assignments Outside of Class
You may need to spend more time working on the labs than the time available in class. If possible and when tutors are available, we will be holding help sessions in the lab in WVH 102 on the first floor of West Village H, and you can use this or any of the other open labs on campus to complete the assignments. Please remember that you are responsible for ensuring that no other student has access to your files. You are also responsible for ensuring that you do not edit or submit anyone else's files either intentionally or accidentally.
Should you feel ill or have symptoms of H1N1 (sore throat, fever, chills, etc.) or seasonal influenza, please remain isolated and at home for four days or minimum of 24 hours after the symptoms have subsided. Lecture notes, pre-recorded lectures if feasible, electronic submission of assignments, and make-up exams will be provided to students who are ill. We will also make use of an online interactive learning platform should we need to cancel classes.